Friday, August 10, 2012

14 Days

So I'm a huge gamer, but lately I've been falling behind with gaming news and everything.  Part of that is due to the fact that I was in Europe for a month, and didn't have as much access to computers as I do at home, and part of that is due to a ton of stuff changing in my life.  I'm starting school again this fall and I just got a new job.  Well anyway I'm trying to catch up again, and I'm finding so much stuff that I did not know.

First off I just heard about the whole Jason West and Vincent Zampella vs Activision Blizzard case going on.  I don't know why I'm just hearing about it because it's been going on for awhile, although I guess I was also pretty late about hearing the Halo 4 release date which is my absolute favorite game series.  Well anyway for anyone who hasn't heard about this trial, here's a little summary.  Activision fired West and Zampella (former co-founders of Infinity Ward) just before the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, also just before they would have had to pay West and Zampella huge bonuses for the game release.  Well obviously West and Zampella are pissed, as I would be too, so they are going to court suing Activision Blizzard.  Makes me think of a lot of reasons I left working at Target (screw you corporate).  It will be interesting to hear how all of this pans out, and I hope they win (West and Zampella).

Well now to the actual point of this post, aka the title.  Fortnite, a new game that Epic had anounced last year, is now only going to be a PC exclusive.  Again I'm a little late on this news, but I only just found out about this.  I'm a little disappointed in this as I am not a PC gamer.  I have nothing against PCs, I just don't have enough money to buy or build a good enough computer to play the games.  At the moment I am using a netbook that I bought for $180, and it really is not at all good enough to play anything.  It can play games like Diablo 2, and Age of Empires 2, but nothing newer than that pretty much, and even those games have a hard time sometimes.  Well anyway, I'm a huge fan of Epic Games.  I have all of the Gears of War games, and every one of their Unreal series.  I've been playing Unreal Tournament since I started gaming pretty much.  In my opinion they are one of the best developers out there, with Bungie (slash 343), and People Can Fly.  Well this news is a bummer...  We'll see when I'll be able to play it.

For those of you reading this that are PC gamers the game still does look pretty amazing.  It's going to be the first game that show off Epic's new Unreal 4 gaming engine.  The game itself is going to be a survival/construction style of game, a lot like Minecraft or Terraria, but different.  From screenshots and the announcement trailer the game looks somewhat like Borderlands in its cartoony style of art.  In the game you will be put out in the world to collect whatever supplies you can to build a fortification for yourself to guard yourself from enemies when the dark rises.  Not like in Minecraft where you are digging dirt and trees and whatnot, but finding boxes, signs, anything in the world that can be shoved together to make a wall.  As you encounter more enemies you will have to always be upgrading your fortification to survive.  The game pulls at your creativity for you to build whatever type of building you like, could be a tiny shack, or if you wanted you could try building something bigger that actually has rooms.  But beware once the night falls, you better be inside.  Check out the trailer here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2TTakfGjk

Well anyway.  Get out there everyone and play a video game.  And for all of you "CoD gamers", go try something new, there's a ton of awesome games out there. (Yeah I know if any one of them reads this they will be super pissed at me, but really that's just super awesome because then that means people are actually reading this.  Sweet!)

-- Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment